Saturday, January 15, 2011

Philosophy of Screaming

OK, much to my dismay, it turns out the fad of pig-squealing is not due to porcine love but to a love of mediocre music:



Sounds like a bunch of guy's struggling to clear there throats, don't it?

The tendency for these phlegmy voiced guys to squeak has led to a really hilarious question on the internet: Is pig squealing ruining the respectability of abrasive vocals?

If your scene can be toppled by pig-squealing it's probably best to let it go.

Even better is this Facebook page: Job for a Cowboy ruined pig squealing. That's right! They ruined it! Pig squealing! These are some pig-squealing purists. Can you imagine the righteous conversations? "People used to squeal like pigs for the love of it, but now it's all corporate!"

There is also a ferocious debate about how to scream. If you are like me you are probably thinking "Can't I just scream?" Not according to this guy screaming into a banana:



Sorry James Brown, you didn't do it right. Burn in hell!

Apparently there are two competing schools of screaming. There is Exhale Screaming also known as Screaming:



And then there is Inhale Screaming also known as Some Other Irritating Noise:



And there is also whatever the fuck is going on here:




They all seem to rely on sounding like a bog-monster.

I thought I was in the Exhale camp at first because that's really the only way one can scream, but after listening to the tutorials I realize I have no stake in this whatsoever because it all sounds like shit to me.

 I can say with confidence, however,  that I am firmly in this guys camp:



I personally think the screaming shouldn't sound so uniform. They all sound alike. There is no passion in it. Plus it's so distorted, it's like listening to a robot.

Listen to Dave Grohl do it:



Wasn't that exciting?

So, the philosophy of screaming goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment