Friday, February 11, 2011

Splink M.D.

I've always said athletes are so stupid their brains must hurt when they read and Time magazine is now telling me I'm right.  To wit:

"It's easy enough to make the case that any person who has suffered a brain injury needs a long period of recuperation before returning to vigorous physical activity. But what about vigorous intellectual activity? The brain is a cognitive machine, and it requires an enormous amount of energy to keep its gears moving. That's a fact concussed kids often confront when they resume their classwork after an injury and find that their symptoms return the moment they crack a book. "Cognitive exertion requires a high degree of metabolic activity," says Gioia. "If you have a brain that's already impaired, that ability is going to be reduced."

I think this means I've graduated from movies, to journalism, to neuroscience!

No comments:

Post a Comment